A dedicated Detroit firefighter spent the day educating our students on arson awareness. He explained the dangers of fire and shared important safety tips in case of our house fire. He displayed a smoke alarm and taught the students the importance of having working smoke alarms throughout the house and encouraged them to check and replace the batteries at least twice a year. He also explained how to check the heat of a door with the back of their hands and how to stay low to the ground under smoke. He encouraged students who stay on the second floor or higher to hang something – anything , out of a window so the firefighters will know immediately you’re in there and need rescuing. The presentation ended with a few students having the opportunity to try on equipment and literally walk in the shoes of a firefighter.